Studium Theologicum Jerosolymitanum (STJ)

Posted by jean-paul | Mayor Seminaries | Monday 26 June 2017 10:22 am

.

Studium Theologicum Jerosolymitanum (STJ)

In 1866 the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land founded a School of Theology called the Studium Theologicum, at the Monastery of Saint Savior in Jerusalem, with the goal of forming future priests. Since that time, hundreds of students from many countries have attended the Studium, many of whom have distinguished themselves in the fields of moral theology, biblical studies, history, and archaeology.

On March 12th 1971, the Congregation for Catholic Education approved the affiliation of the Studium to the Faculty of Theology of the Pontifical University “Antonianum” in Rome with the right to confer the Bachelor Degree in Sacred Theology. Afterwards, on March 15th 1982, the Studium became the first cycle of the parallel branch of the Faculty of Theology in Jerusalem, known as the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum. By 1987-88, courses in Philosophy began to be offered at the Franciscan Convent in Bethlehem. Then on September 4th 2001, the Studium Theologicum continued its usual academic system of organization as the first cycle of the Faculty of Biblical Sciences and Archaeology, leading up to the Bachelor Degree in Sacred Theology. Its academic program is based on that of the Pontifical University “Antonianum” in Rome with a few additional subjects relating to the specific context of the Holy Land.

The Studium is under the responsibility of the Custos of the Holy Land and welcomes non-Franciscan students.

 

Address:
.
.
1 Saint Francis Street
P.O.B. 186
9100101 Jerusalem
Tel: (02) 626 67 87
Email: segreteria.stj@custodia.org (Office/Admissions)
Email: moderatore.stj@custodia.org (Moderator)

Administration & Faculty